Vegetarian Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup salsa (plus more for serving)
- 1 pound ground meatless Quorn
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- ½ cup diced tomatoes w/ chilis
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup (or so) shredded fat-free cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Fat-free Greek yogurt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Pour ½ cup of salsa into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise then with a small spoon or melon baller (I used my tablespoon measuring spoon), hollow out the zucchini pieces but leave ¼″ rim. Save ¾ cup of the zucchini flesh and chop into small pieces.
- Drop the zucchini halves into the boiling water and cook for one minute. Remove from water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground Quorn. Add in the spices and mix well.
- Add in the chopped onion, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce, and water. Stir it up then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the boiled zucchini halves into the bottom of the 9×13 dish.
- Once the meat mixture is done, spoon the mixture into the zucchini boats evenly. Press down so the filling stays in the boats.
- Top each half with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes until the zucchini is fully cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with Greek yogurt, cilantro and more salsa.
Adapted from www.persnicketyplates.com