Air Fried Tofu Italian Style
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon aquafaba or broth (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- black pepper to taste
- Drain the tofu and cut it into three slices lengthwise. Put down a double layer of tea towels or paper towels, place the tofu slices on top, and cover with more towels. Place your hands over the tofu slices and press down, gently increasing pressure, to press enough water out that the towels are noticeably wet. (You can also use a tofu press for this, of course.)
- Return the tofu to the cutting board and cut each piece into about 10 cubes (one cut down the length and then 5 across works well.) Place the tofu in a large ziplock bag or bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients well. Pour over the tofu and gently turn the bag or stir the tofu until all sides are coated. Let it marinate at least 10 minutes–the longer you marinate it, the more flavorful it will be.
- Preheat your air fryer at 390-400F for about 3 minutes. Place the tofu in a single layer in the basket (leaving any marinade behind) and immediately reduce the temperature to around 350F. Air fry for 6 minutes. Use a thin, flexible spatula to loosen the tofu and turn it. Return it to the air fryer and begin checking at 4 minutes to see if it is golden overall and slightly darker at the edges but not overcooked or it will be tough.
- Use any way you like—on top of salads or with sauteed veggies works well with HCG
Adapted from https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/